Jun 25, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
The Nationals gave stars Bryce Harper and Anthony Rendon the day off on Thursday as they prepared to take on the Atlanta Braves in their series finale. Both players are dealing with minor injuries with the team about to embark on a six-game road trip.
Harper felt a cramp in his right leg during the team’s win on Wednesday night, while Rendon is dealing with soreness in his left quadriceps muscle. Rendon came off the disabled list on June 4 after rehabbing an oblique injury, as well as a sprained MCL in his left knee.
Manager Matt Williams said both players are available off the bench if needed against the Braves.
“It’s nothing with the knee,” Williams said of Rendon. “He’s had a little bit of an issue with the quad that he’s been playing with, so we’re make sure that we look at days that we can give him. Today was one of those days that we’ve scheduled. So, we need to make sure that we’re mindful of his progress, too.”
Rendon also missed Sunday’s game and the Nationals had an off-day on Monday. He was removed from Wednesday night’s game in the top of the ninth inning.
Williams wouldn’t get into very much detail on either player when asked for more information.
“They’re both getting a day. That’s as far as we’re going to go. We’re not going to delve into intricacies of any of that right now. They’re both getting a day off. They’re both available off the bench. That’s as far as we’ll go with it,” he said.
Harper is batting .340 this season with 24 home runs and 58 RBI in 69 games. Rendon is hitting .290 with five doubles and five RBI in 18 games.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper gets ejected before Nationals offense explodes in win over Brewers
- Logo for 2018 MLB All Star Game in D.C. revealed
- Nationals win 6-2 after Stephen Strasburg leaves in second inning
- Bryce Harper powers Nationals past Diamondbacks
- Nationals lose to Diamondbacks in dramatic fashion
- Nationals six-game winning streak comes to an end in Los Angeles
- Zimmerman sets franchise HR record, Nationals beat Reds 6-1
- Nationals new reliever Sean Doolittle grew up a Redskins fan
- Daniel Murphy homers twice in 14-4 rout of Reds
- Nationals aquire Doolittle from Athletics