Jun 25, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Major League Baseball announced Thursday that right-handed pitcher Lucas Giolito and infielder Trea Turner have been selected to represent the Nationals at the 2015 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The 20-year-old Giolito was drafted by the Nationals in 2012, and is widely considered one of the best pitching prospects in the game. He’s currently 2-4 with a 2.71 ERA for the Single-A Potomac Nationals. In 2014, he was named Minor League Pitcher of the Year by the organization after going 10-2 with 2.20 ERA for Single-A Hagerstown.
Turner, 21, was the final piece of the Steve Souza Jr. trade, as he was the player to be named player, joining the organization on June 14.
“I think it’s a great opportunity for both of them to get a chance to be on a national stage and show their talent,” manager Matt Williams said. “I think they are both very talented young players and they’re improving quickly. That’s good. That’s good for the organization, it’s good for them to be a part of that and represent. It’s good for both of them. We’re happy for both of them.”
The game is typically considered a showcase for up-and-coming talent across the minor leagues, and in years past has featured the likes of Danny Espinosa, Bryce Harper, Taylor Jordan and Michael A. Taylor.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Max Scherzer's dance moves cause the Junkies' broadcast to lose power?
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine