Jun 25, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Major League Baseball announced Thursday that right-handed pitcher Lucas Giolito and infielder Trea Turner have been selected to represent the Nationals at the 2015 SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The 20-year-old Giolito was drafted by the Nationals in 2012, and is widely considered one of the best pitching prospects in the game. He’s currently 2-4 with a 2.71 ERA for the Single-A Potomac Nationals. In 2014, he was named Minor League Pitcher of the Year by the organization after going 10-2 with 2.20 ERA for Single-A Hagerstown.
Turner, 21, was the final piece of the Steve Souza Jr. trade, as he was the player to be named player, joining the organization on June 14.
“I think it’s a great opportunity for both of them to get a chance to be on a national stage and show their talent,” manager Matt Williams said. “I think they are both very talented young players and they’re improving quickly. That’s good. That’s good for the organization, it’s good for them to be a part of that and represent. It’s good for both of them. We’re happy for both of them.”
The game is typically considered a showcase for up-and-coming talent across the minor leagues, and in years past has featured the likes of Danny Espinosa, Bryce Harper, Taylor Jordan and Michael A. Taylor.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals, without their big guns, fall to Mets
- Cubs, Brewers, or Cardinals: potential postseason opponents for the Washington Nationals
- Nationals baffled by Dickey's knuckleball in Braves' 3-2 win
- Ryan Zimmerman sets career high in homers vs. Braves
- Updated MLB Postseason 2017 Bracket Projection
- Nationals vs. Braves Preview: Gonzalez looks to rebound
- When will Bryce Harper return to the Nationals' lineup?
- Max Scherzer bounces back from last week's rough start against Atlanta
- Nationals vs. Braves Preview: Scherzer seeks redemption
- MLB Postseason 2017 Bracket Projection