Jun 24, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
In the 11th inning after smoking a double to right-center field against the Braves, Bryce Harper ran through second base and stopped short before leaning down to put his hands on his knees. He stood at second base hunched over and appeared at first to be catching his breath.
But manager Matt Williams and head trainer Lee Kuntz could tell something was wrong and ran out to talk to him despite several attempts by Harper to wave them off. Harper, it turns out, felt a cramp in his right leg as he was turning towards third. It is not related to the left hamstring strain that he dealt with this past weekend, but it will require further evaluation by the team’s medical staff.
“He just said it was a cramp when he went into second. Standing there, it got a little bit better,” Williams said. “He told me he could score if there was a base hit, so it subsided a little bit. We’ll see how it acts when he gets up in the morning. The doc will take a look at him, the trainers will take a look at him when we get back in there and we’ll see what we’ve got.”
Harper ended up scoring the winning run on a sacrifice fly by Ian Desmond. Harper was on third with the bases loaded when Desmond lined out to deep left field. It wasn’t a close call as Harper jogged home comfortably.
Williams said the team will hope to have more on Harper before Thursday’s game. The 22-year-old right fielder is hitting. .340 with 24 home runs and 58 RBI this season.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins
- All nickname jerseys for the Washington Nationals
- Ryan Zimmerman breaks franchise record against Marlins