Jun 15, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg will make a rehab start Wednesday afternoon for Class AA Harrisburg, his first game appearance since going on the disabled list two weeks ago with a strained left trapezius muscle.
Strasburg is slated to pitch in Harrisburg against Richmond at noon Wednesday, the Senators announced.
This rehab assignment comes after Strasburg threw 60 pitches to live hitters in a simulated game in Milwaukee on Friday, reporting no problems with his neck or upper back, which had been given him problems over the last month.
If Strasburg is able to build up to roughly 75 pitches in Harrisburg with no discomfort, the Nationals could deem him ready to return to their rotation after only one rehab start. The club won’t make that decision, though, until seeing how he responds to pitching at full velocity in a game situation, the only situations to date that have caused him discomfort.
After suffering an ankle sprain in spring training that forced him to alter his mechanics, Strasburg endured through an erratic April to begin his season. He then battled through the first prolonged struggle of his career in May, going 1-3 with a 10.13 ERA in five starts. In four of those outings, he failed to complete four innings, in part due to the neck/back discomfort.
Strasburg’s final start, May 29 in Cincinnati, lasted only one inning and 16 pitches, finally prompting the Nationals to place him on the disabled list with what was diagnosed as a strained left trapezius muscle. He has worked with pitching coach Steve McCatty since on improving his mechanics, most notably adjusting his landing spot as he throws pitches off the mound.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Murphy's big hit helps Nats beat Mets 6-1
- MLB All-Star FanFest: Searching for a jersey from every team
- Nats fall below .500 again with Saturday's loss to Mets
- Davey Martinez meets with Bryce Harper after he jogs to first
- Nationals get first look at starting pitcher Austin Voth
- 2018 Celebrity Softball Game: Full list of participants and details on how to watch
- Tanner Roark becomes first 12-game loser in majors as Nats fall to Mets
- This year's National League All-Star team is serving seriously good dog content. But who are the best boys?
- Nationals to play Mets in Syndergaard's return from DL
- Bryce Harper unveils his custom cleats for Monday's home run derby