Jun 15, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Bryce Harper is back in the Nationals lineup tonight, his left knee/quad apparently feeling well enough for him to hit after sitting out yesterday’s game in Milwaukee. But Harper won’t be fully participating in the game at Tampa Bay; since they’re playing in an AL park, he’ll be able to serve as designated hitter for the night, reducing the amount of stress on his leg two days after getting struck by a fastball.
So it’s Clint Robinson again in right field, with Danny Espinosa again at first base. Ian Desmond, meanwhile, bats ninth on the heels of a dreadful series against the Brewers in which he at one point went 0-for-11 with 10 strikeouts.
Gio Gonzalez takes the mound against the surprisingly competitive Rays, who are currently being led offensively by old pal Steven Souza Jr. (team-high 12 homers, though he’s hitting a paltry .216).
I’m not in St. Petersburg for this brief, 2-game series, but please keep up the conversation here and be sure to check back in the morning for remote analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at TAMPA BAY RAYS
Where: Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 177/869
CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
3B Yunel Escobar
DH Bryce Harper
C Wilson Ramos
RF Clint Robinson
1B Danny Espinosa
LF Michael Taylor
SS Ian Desmond
(LHP Gio Gonzalez)
LF Brandon Guyer
DH Joey Butler
3B Evan Longoria
2B Logan Forsythe
RF Steven Souza Jr.
1B Jake Elmore
SS Asdrubal Cabrera
CF Kevin Kiermaier
C Rene Rivera
(RHP Erasmo Ramirez)
HP Jim Reynolds
1B Manny Gonzalez
2B Paul Schrieber
3B Fieldin Culbreth
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years
- See hilarious highlights from Nats' Racing Presidents tryouts
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists