Jun 14, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
After six months of waiting due to an unusual rule linked to the MLB Draft, the Nationals finally have the centerpiece of their December trade with the San Diego Padres and Tampa Bay Rays.
Trea Turner is officially a Washington National. The shortstop was considered a ‘player to be named later’ up until Sunday, due to him being drafted in June of 2014. MLB rules stated that teams could not trade players within one year of them being selected in the draft.
Turner, 21, was taken 13th overall by the Padres in 2014. He is considered one of the best shortstop prospects in baseball and will now report to Double-A Harrisburg to continue his development in the Nationals’ farm system.
“We’re happy to complete this trade and add an exceptional talent to our fold,” general manager Mike Rizzo said in a press release. “From the outset, this was a complex deal, but we thought it was one that would better our organization for the present as well as the long term. That’s always our goal. We look forward to getting Trea into our Minor League system.”
The former NC State standout played the first 58 games this season with the Double-A San Antonio Missions. He thrived with a .322 batting average, five home runs, 35 RBI, 11 steals, 31 runs and three triples.
Turner released a statement after the trade was completed via his Twitter account:
“Extremely excited to join the Nationals! Can’t wait to get out on the field with a new uniform and continue doing what I love! Ready to wear some red, white, and blue! #Natitude”
The Nationals traded outfielder Steven Souza, Jr. to the Rays as part of the deal that also sent Wil Myers to San Diego. Washington received Turner and right-hander Joe Ross, who made his second MLB start in Saturday’s win against the Brewers.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trea Turner has a career game as Nats clobber Reds
- Harper's 10th-inning single lifts Nationals past Reds 6-5
- Max Scherzer's bid for third no-hitter ends in heartbreak
- The Nats got hot Tuesday in Miami with 12-3 win over Marlins
- Tanner Roark unable to preserve six-run lead before Marlins walk off Nationals in ninth
- Jacob DeGrom denies Nationals sweep of Mets on Father's Day
- Nationals hit three homers to win third straight game against Mets
- Nationals look to win series against Mets behind Stephen Strasburg
- Scherzer strikes out 10, leads Nationals over Mets 7-2
- Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Murphy dominated in Nationals' 8-3 win over the Mets