Jun 8, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT
[Updated 12:05 a.m.]
The Nationals began the 2015 MLB draft on Monday night by selecting two outfielders, first with LSU center fielder Andrew Stevenson at 58th overall and then high schooler Blake Perkins at No. 69.
Stevenson, who just turned 21, hit .356 with one homer, 53 runs, 26 steals and an .865 OPS his junior year. His LSU Tigers advanced to the College World Series on Sunday and will be one of eight teams to play for the national championship in Omaha. Their first game is scheduled for Sunday, June 14 at 3 p.m.
Stevenson jumped up draft boards after his impressive showing in the 2014 Cape Cod League. In 44 games he hit .327 while recording 30 runs and 21 steals.
Stevenson hits and throws lefty, and is listed at 6-foot, 184 pounds. He is considered one of the best defensive outfielders in college baseball.
The Nationals were given the 58th selection as compensation for 2014 second round pick Andrew Suarez not signing. The Miami lefty went 61st overall to the San Francisco Giants in this year’s draft.
Perkins, 18, attended Verrado High School in Buckeye, Arizona. He throws and bats right-handed and is known for his speed. Perkins is currently committed to play at Arizona State University.
During his senior season at Verrado, Perkins hit .461 (41-for-89) with seven home runs, 35 RBI, 23 walks and 51 runs in 29 games.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins
- All nickname jerseys for the Washington Nationals
- Ryan Zimmerman breaks franchise record against Marlins