Jun 6, 2015, 11:46 AM EDT
The Nationals had some good news and some bad on the injury front Saturday as they got ready to take on the Chicago Cubs in an early afternoon start.
The good news was Stephen Strasburg threw a bullpen session for the first time in his recovery from a strained left trapezius muscle. The bad news was Yunel Escobar is out for the second straight day with a sore right wrist.
Manager Matt Williams said Strasburg threw 30 pitches.
“He threw 30 pitches today. All of his pitches in the bullpen and he came out of it feeling good.”
Strasburg was placed on the 15-day disabled list May 30. He was removed from his start the day before in Cincinnati in the second inning with what was first described as neck tightness.
Strasburg has struggled this season while battling an assortment of minor injuries. He is 3-5 with a 6.55 ERA on the year.
Escobar hurt his wrist on a check-swing in the first inning of Thursday night’s series opener against the Cubs. He had an x-ray that showed no broken bones, but his wrist remains sore.
Williams said Escobar’s wrist injury is not likely to land him on the disabled list.
“I wouldn’t anticipate it, but you never know,” he said. “Escobar is okay. He’ll get in here and get some treatment. Get in the cage and see what he feels like. He was available yesterday to play defense. We’ll see where he’s at.”
Escobar is batting .316 this season with two homers, 14 RBI and 28 runs.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Did Max Scherzer's dance moves cause the Junkies' broadcast to lose power?
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine