Jun 6, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
To clear room on their roster for rookie pitcher Joe Ross, the Nationals made a pair of roster moves on Saturday in sending A.J. Cole down to Triple-A Syracuse and Craig Stammen to the 60-day disabled list. Ross will start the Nats’ afternoon matchup with the Chicago Cubs in his major league debut.
Cole, 23, heads down to the minors after getting called up just two days before. The right-hander has allowed six earned runs (11 total) off 14 hits and a walk in three MLB appearances this season.
Manager Matt Williams said the plan is to have Cole rejoin the Chiefs’ rotation.
“Just continue his progress, just continue throwing. Last time out he had a little issue with command of the strike zone, so he’s going to work on that. Just be ready in case that call comes again,” Williams explained.
Cole has a 3.26 ERA in six starts for Syracuse this season. He holds a 3.56 ERA in 104 total minor league games.
Stammen is transferred to the 60-day disabled list after landing on the 15-day DL on April 15. The veteran reliever had surgery on April 20 to repair a flexor tear in his right forearm.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Murphy's big hit helps Nats beat Mets 6-1
- MLB All-Star FanFest: Searching for a jersey from every team
- Nats fall below .500 again with Saturday's loss to Mets
- Davey Martinez meets with Bryce Harper after he jogs to first
- Nationals get first look at starting pitcher Austin Voth
- 2018 Celebrity Softball Game: Full list of participants and details on how to watch
- Tanner Roark becomes first 12-game loser in majors as Nats fall to Mets
- This year's National League All-Star team is serving seriously good dog content. But who are the best boys?
- Nationals to play Mets in Syndergaard's return from DL
- Bryce Harper unveils his custom cleats for Monday's home run derby