Jun 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
Yunel Escobar was out of the Nationals’ lineup Friday, his right wrist still sore following an awkward check-swing that knocked him out of Thursday night’s game after only one inning.
X-rays taken of Escobar’s wrist were negative, but the veteran infielder continued to be bothered by soreness in the area and didn’t feel well enough to start Friday night against the Cubs.
“He got an X-ray; that’s negative,” manager Matt Williams said. “We’ll see how he reacts to it and all the treatment today. We’ll just play it day-by-day with him.”
Escobar hurt himself trying to check his swing on high, 3-2 pitch in the bottom of the first inning Thursday night. He was called out, as was Anthony Rendon, who was trying to steal second base on the play. Escobar appeared to be in some pain after the swing, and he wound up not re-taking the field for the top of the second.
“I have done it. It’s no fun,” Williams said. “It’s big force coming through there. You’re fully committed to a swing, and then you try to stop it. Especially when it’s up in the strike zone, because then your hands leave your body. It’s no fun.”
With Escobar out, the Nationals were forced to move Rendon to third base after making plans for him to serve as their regular second baseman upon making his season debut following knee and oblique injuries. Rendon was back at third base Friday night, with Danny Espinosa starting at second.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals offense provides no support in Strasburg's return
- Matt Grace, Howie Kendrick lead Nationals past San Diego Padres
- Max Scherzer scratched from start against San Diego, heading to DL
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay