Jun 5, 2015, 1:24 AM EDT
The Nationals saw Anthony Rendon finally return on Thursday night, but it didn’t take long for them to have another player go down.
Third baseman Yunel Escobar left the 2-1 loss to the Chicago Cubs with a right wrist injury. Escobar hurt his wrist during a check-swing while facing Jake Arrieta in the bottom of the first inning.
Manager Matt Williams is hopeful Escobar will not be out long after x-rays showed no broken bones.
“They took an x-ray. He’s fine. There’s no issue there. He just tweaked it trying to check up,” Williams said. “His right wrist wasn’t feeling good so we’ll evaluate that tomorrow and see where he’s at.”
Escobar, 32, has been a big asset for the Nationals this season after joining them over the winter in a trade with the Oakland Athletics. Through 50 games he is batting .316 with two homers, 14 RBI and 28 runs.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper, Jayson Werth awesomely lead Nats' 'Game of Thrones' dress-up
- Bryce Harper reportedly will come off the disabled list tomorrow
- Nationals, without their big guns, fall to Mets
- Cubs, Brewers, or Cardinals: potential postseason opponents for the Washington Nationals
- Nationals baffled by Dickey's knuckleball in Braves' 3-2 win
- Ryan Zimmerman sets career high in homers vs. Braves
- Updated MLB Postseason 2017 Bracket Projection
- Nationals vs. Braves Preview: Gonzalez looks to rebound
- When will Bryce Harper return to the Nationals' lineup?
- Max Scherzer bounces back from last week's rough start against Atlanta