Jun 5, 2015, 1:24 AM EDT
The Nationals saw Anthony Rendon finally return on Thursday night, but it didn’t take long for them to have another player go down.
Third baseman Yunel Escobar left the 2-1 loss to the Chicago Cubs with a right wrist injury. Escobar hurt his wrist during a check-swing while facing Jake Arrieta in the bottom of the first inning.
Manager Matt Williams is hopeful Escobar will not be out long after x-rays showed no broken bones.
“They took an x-ray. He’s fine. There’s no issue there. He just tweaked it trying to check up,” Williams said. “His right wrist wasn’t feeling good so we’ll evaluate that tomorrow and see where he’s at.”
Escobar, 32, has been a big asset for the Nationals this season after joining them over the winter in a trade with the Oakland Athletics. Through 50 games he is batting .316 with two homers, 14 RBI and 28 runs.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates