Jun 5, 2015, 1:24 AM EST
The Nationals saw Anthony Rendon finally return on Thursday night, but it didn’t take long for them to have another player go down.
Third baseman Yunel Escobar left the 2-1 loss to the Chicago Cubs with a right wrist injury. Escobar hurt his wrist during a check-swing while facing Jake Arrieta in the bottom of the first inning.
Manager Matt Williams is hopeful Escobar will not be out long after x-rays showed no broken bones.
“They took an x-ray. He’s fine. There’s no issue there. He just tweaked it trying to check up,” Williams said. “His right wrist wasn’t feeling good so we’ll evaluate that tomorrow and see where he’s at.”
Escobar, 32, has been a big asset for the Nationals this season after joining them over the winter in a trade with the Oakland Athletics. Through 50 games he is batting .316 with two homers, 14 RBI and 28 runs.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?
- Whoa. Dusty Baker not returning as Nationals' manager. What comes next?
- Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy undergoes successful knee surgery