Jun 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
Pitchers Doug Fister, Sammy Solis and Stephen Strasburg have all made progress in their respective rehab stints, according to manager Matt Williams.
Fister, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on May 17 with forearm tightness, threw around 40 pitches in the bullpen Thursday afternoon. The Nationals have had Tanner Roark in the rotation while the 31-year-old right sinkerballer continues to make his way back.
“[Fister] came out of it feeling really good,” Williams said. “That heavier load [is coming] — we’ll have to see how he is [Friday].”
Williams also said that left-handed reliever Solis, who has been sidelined due to left shoulder inflammation, threw another bullpen session at about the same amount of pitches and came out of it feeling good. The Nats’ bullpen has struggled in recent weeks, so Solis’ return would be a boon for a relief corps that sorely needs it.
As for Strasburg, Williams said he threw on flat ground for the second time this week, indicating that the right hander’s injured left trapezius muscle is steadily improving. That setback, in addition to his ankle injury from spring training, is said to have altered his mechanics this season, one of the factors in his rough start to 2015. In 10 outings, he has a 6.55 ERA.
“[Today’s session] had no effect from yesterday’s session, went back out and did it again today,” Williams said. “So that’s a good sign.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper thanks Nationals fans for support during 2017 season
- 20 things D.C. sports fans should be really happy about, playoff success or not
- Nationals Game 5 meltdown yet another reminder why D.C. can't have nice things
- With contractual decisions looming, Nats missed chance at stress-free World Series run
- Nationals suffer postseason heartbreak yet again in lengthy, controversial Game 5 loss
- NLDS 2017: Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5 Live Blog
- Nationals place faith in Gio Gonzalez, name him Game 5 starter vs. Cubs
- D.C. Metro extends hours for Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5
- Nationals 2017 Postseason Game 5 NLDS vs. Cubs: Date, Time, TV Channel and How to Watch
- Strasburg spins gem, Taylor hits grand slam to force Game 5 vs. Cubs