Jun 3, 2015, 6:52 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg threw pitches off flat ground in the outfield Wednesday afternoon, leaving the Nationals encouraged about the state of the right-hander’s neck and upper back.
Strasburg had not thrown since departing Friday night’s start in Cincinnati after one inning with neck discomfort. He was placed on the disabled list with a left trapezius strain the following day, with the Nationals saying he wouldn’t throw again until the injury had healed.
Strasburg had informed the club’s training staff that he felt better, and thus he was cleared to throw Wednesday. He threw in a pitching motion, though not at full velocity, on flat ground with pitching coach Steve McCatty and assistant athletic trainer Steve Gober alongside.
When Strasburg will throw off a mound again is unclear, but the fact he threw Wednesday with no physical issues suggests his stint on the DL likely won’t be a long one. He’s eligible to return June 15.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?
- Whoa. Dusty Baker not returning as Nationals' manager. What comes next?
- Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy undergoes successful knee surgery