Jun 3, 2015, 4:14 PM EST
Bryce Harper’s record-setting May at the plate earned him an official MLB award on Wednesday: NL Player of the Month. And Max Scherzer’s dominant performance on the mound also earned him an award: NL Pitcher of the Month.
Harper won the monthly honor, a no-brainer considering his performance throughout May. The Nationals right fielder hit .360 with 13 home runs, 28 RBI, a .495 on-base percentage and 1.379 OPS in 26 games, setting a club record for homers in a single month while taking over the NL lead in several major offensive categories.
Overall, Harper enters play Wednesday hitting .329 with 18 homers, 44 RBI, a .470 on-base percentage and 1.188 OPS.
Harper becomes only the second National to win NL Player of the Month honors, joining fellow outfielder Jayson Werth (who won the award in both July 2013 and 2014).
Scherzer won his award after going 5-1 with a 1.67 ERA in May. He’s the fifth National to win Pitcher of the Month honors, joining Chad Cordero (June 2005), Stephen Strasburg (April 2012), Gio Gonzalez (May 2012) and Jordan Zimmermann (July 2012).
Harper and Scherzer are the first NL teammates to win these awards in the same month since the Brewers’ Ryan Braun and C.C. Sabathia in July 2008.
“That’s what makes it great,” Scherzer said. “He had a month for everybody to recognize. It was really fun to sit there on the bench and watch him do what he does. It’s great that we were both able to accomplish that.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?