Jun 1, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT
The Nationals have recalled left-hander Felipe Rivero from Class AAA, optioning Matt Grace to Syracuse to address a bullpen that was overworked and ineffective during this weekend’s sweep in Cincinnati.
Rivero made his major-league debut April 17 for the Nationals but had to be placed on the disabled list after only one appearance when it was discovered he had gastrointestinal bleeding. Once that serious condition was treated, the 23-year-old was optioned to Syracuse, where he made five appearances, allowing two runs in four innings of work.
The Nationals needed a fresh arm in their bullpen after a rough weekend against the Reds in which the relief corps collectively gave up 14 runs on 19 hits and six walks over 11 2/3 innings. Grace was among the biggest culprits, allowing four runs without retiring a batter during Sunday’s loss.
Grace impressed upon making his MLB debut, taking the roster spot that opened when Rivero went on the DL, with eight consecutive scoreless appearances to begin his career. He had labored more recently, though, retiring only two of the last 11 batters he faced.
The Nationals made another minor transaction Monday, acquiring right-hander P.J. Walters from the Dodgers in exchange for cash considerations. Walters, 30, has spent time with five different organizations over the last three years and posted a 4.70 ERA in four starts with Class AAA Oklahoma City this season. He’ll report to Syracuse and likely join the Chiefs’ rotation.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates