Jun 1, 2015, 7:19 PM EST
[Updated 8:08 p.m.]
The opener of the Nationals’ interleague series with the Blue Jays has been postponed due to heavy rain in the region. It will be made up as part of a day-night doubleheader Tuesday, with a rescheduled game starting at 1:05 p.m. and followed by the regularly scheduled 7:05 p.m. contest.
Jordan Zimmermann will start the first game of the double-header, as he was scheduled for Monday night’s game. Max Scherzer will remain as the starter for Tuesday night. The Blue Jays will start R.A. Dickey for the first game and right-hander Marco Estrada for the second.
The Nationals will look to call up a 26th man for the first game, but they are not sure whether it will be a pitcher or a position player. All signs, however, do point to them adding another arm to help out their tired bullpen.
“It depends. We have to look at who is available, who is scheduled to pitch today, who may be available tomorrow. No decision has been made yet. We’ll do that in the morning,” manager Matt Williams said.
Tickets for Monday’s rainout can be used for Tuesday’s doubleheader opener or comparably priced tickets to a future game.
Heavy rain struck Nationals Park in mid-afternoon, forcing both clubs to move batting practice indoors. The rain eased up for awhile, then struck again in heavier amounts early in the evening, forcing the postponement.
“The field is pretty bad, so what we don’t want to do is get somebody hurt,” Williams said. “If it’s unplayable, then sloshing around out there does nothing but end up badly. That being said, we’re going to schedule two for tomorrow and see if we can go get them.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates
- 2018 MLB Power Rankings
- Nationals release 2018 Spring Training TV schedule
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years