May 27, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
We’ve seen a pair of nip-and-tuck, 1-run games so far in this series between the Nationals and Cubs, with each team winning once. And now for the series finale, we get a great pitching matchup of the two guys who got the biggest free-agent contracts last winter: Max Scherzer and Jon Lester.
Scherzer has been everything the Nats could have wanted and more so far, entering this start with a 5-3 record, 1.67 ERA, 72 strikeouts and only nine walks. Lester, meanwhile, got off to a bit of a rocky April but has been dominant in May (4-0, 1.85). Keep an eye on the Nationals’ running game tonight, because Lester does have an issue holding guys on base.
Dan Uggla and Tyler Moore get the starts tonight against the lefty, though there’s not a whole lot of history to go on there. Uggla is 2-for-8 with a homer in his career against Lester; Moore is 1-for-3.
Enjoy the game and the conversation, and please check back in the morning for some remote analysis…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at CHICAGO CUBS
Where: Wrigley Field, Chicago
Gametime: 8:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB Network (outside D.C. market), MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 89/869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 5 mph in from CF
CF Denard Span
SS Ian Desmond
3B Yunel Escobar
RF Bryce Harper
1B Ryan Zimmerman
C Wilson Ramos
2B Dan Uggla
LF Tyler Moore
RHP Max Scherzer
LF Chris Coghlan
1B Anthony Rizzo
3B Kris Bryant
CF Dexter Fowler
SS Starlin Castro
RF Junior Lake
C David Ross
LHP Jon Lester
2B Addison Russell
HP Hunter Wendelstedt
1B Bob Davidson (cc)
2B Ryan Blakney
3B Mike DiMuro
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins
- All nickname jerseys for the Washington Nationals
- Ryan Zimmerman breaks franchise record against Marlins