May 24, 2015, 5:48 PM EST
In what amounts to a big step in Anthony Rendon’s rehab from a left oblique strain, the Nationals infielder will head to Viera, Fla. to begin playing simulated games at extended spring training.
Rendon will play three or four innings on Monday in his first game action since he was removed from a minor league rehab assignment on May 1. The 2014 Silver Slugger has yet to appear in a game this season.
Manager Matt Williams explained the plan moving forward after Rendon successfully went through workouts at Nationals Park in recent days.
“He had a good work-day today. He’ll go to Florida and he’ll start some games down there in a controlled environment, where he can leadoff an inning, he can play as many innings of defense as he wants to play and work through a day,” Williams said.
“The plan is that he’ll play about three or four innings tomorrow and then move on from there. Whatever that amounts to in those three or four innings, he’ll do, and then see how he is the next day. He had a good three days of work here.”
Rendon, 24, began the season rehabbing a sprained left MCL before feeling tightness in his side during the minor league rehab assignment. He was then shut down after an MRI revealed the strained oblique. He has since worked his way to sim games by completing baseball activities such as taking groundballs and testing his swing in batting practice.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates
- 2018 MLB Power Rankings
- Nationals release 2018 Spring Training TV schedule
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years