May 24, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
The Nationals have called up right hander Taylor Jordan and optioned A.J. Cole to Triple-A Syracuse, the team announced before Sunday’s game vs. the Phillies.
The move comes one day after Cole pitched four-plus innings in relief. With Tanner Roark slated to start his first game of the season in Chicago Monday, the Nationals were in need of a fresh reliever who could provide innings should Roark have a short outing.
This is the second time that Cole has been sent down to Syracuse since April 29. In three appearances for the Nats (one start, two relief outings), he has a 5.79 ERA with nine strikeouts and one walk. He earned his first career save in San Diego on May 15.
Jordan, who was 1-2 with a 2.14 ERA at Syracuse, will join the Nats for the second time in 2015. He has yet to make an appearance in a game this season.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years
- See hilarious highlights from Nats' Racing Presidents tryouts
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists