May 20, 2015, 1:29 AM EDT
On the day he was placed on the 15-day disabled list, and moments after the Nationals homered their way into a first-place tie on Tuesday night, Jayson Werth spent a few minutes with reporters to give an update on his left wrist contusion.
Werth will be out until at least May 31 as he first waits for the swelling to go down and then works his way back into the Nationals lineup from the DL for the second time this year.
“Hopefully in a couple days it will respond a lot better and we’ll get going. But right now, I’m still pretty banged up. The tests were good, but I still feel like I have a ways to go,” he said.
Werth was pleased to hear there were no fractures in his wrist or damage to any tendons. That said, he is still in a good deal of pain.
“I’m relieved,” Werth said of the test results. “I wish it felt better. I’m optimistic but I don’t feel like I’m out of the woods yet.”
Werth took a fastball off his left wrist in Friday night’s game against the San Diego Padres. He left the game and underwent an X-ray and an MRI in the following days. He says the swelling has gone down, but still has a ways to go.
“It’s still swollen. It was bad. About as bad as it could be without being broke.”
Werth is hitting .208 with two home runs and 12 RBI in 27 games this season.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates