May 20, 2015, 1:29 AM EDT
On the day he was placed on the 15-day disabled list, and moments after the Nationals homered their way into a first-place tie on Tuesday night, Jayson Werth spent a few minutes with reporters to give an update on his left wrist contusion.
Werth will be out until at least May 31 as he first waits for the swelling to go down and then works his way back into the Nationals lineup from the DL for the second time this year.
“Hopefully in a couple days it will respond a lot better and we’ll get going. But right now, I’m still pretty banged up. The tests were good, but I still feel like I have a ways to go,” he said.
Werth was pleased to hear there were no fractures in his wrist or damage to any tendons. That said, he is still in a good deal of pain.
“I’m relieved,” Werth said of the test results. “I wish it felt better. I’m optimistic but I don’t feel like I’m out of the woods yet.”
Werth took a fastball off his left wrist in Friday night’s game against the San Diego Padres. He left the game and underwent an X-ray and an MRI in the following days. He says the swelling has gone down, but still has a ways to go.
“It’s still swollen. It was bad. About as bad as it could be without being broke.”
Werth is hitting .208 with two home runs and 12 RBI in 27 games this season.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins
- All nickname jerseys for the Washington Nationals
- Ryan Zimmerman breaks franchise record against Marlins