May 20, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Bryce Harper and Matt Williams were both ejected in the bottom of the third inning against the New York Yankees on Wednesday night in a bizarre sequence sparked by a called first strike.
Home plate umpire Marvin Hudson called a strike on the first offering from pitcher Adam Warren to Harper and the Nationals right fielder appeared to disagree. That generated an argument about Harper getting back into the batter’s box.
Harper demonstrated with his left cleat that he was digging in to take the next pitch. Hudson ejected him shortly after he made the gesture.
That brought Williams out of the dugout, as the manager pushed Harper out of the way to talk to Hudson. Third base umpire Jim Joyce rushed home to intervene and Williams was quickly thrown out. Before leaving the game, Williams kicked dirt on to home plate to show his displeasure.
Bench coach Randy Knorr took over to manage the rest of the game, while Michael Taylor replaced Harper.
Harper was also ejected on May 13, exactly one week prior. After that ejection he had this to say, among other things:
“I don’t like getting talked down to by an umpire. I respect the umpires as much as I can, but to tell me I’m going to act like that, I gave him a piece of my mind.”
Harper and Hudson have a history together, as they argued about a check swing in a Nats-Braves game back in August of 2013.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo details the rehabilitation process for Bryce Harper to return for Nationals
- Howie Kendrick hits two homeruns for Nationals against former team
- Howie Kendrick's extra-inning grand slam finally puts Nats-Giants series to bed
- Bryce Harper suffers bone bruise in knee
- Bryce Harper injured in Nationals' 3-1 win
- Bryce Harper carried off field with gruesome knee injury after slipping on first base
- Giants-Nationals game postponed after lengthy rain delay
- Andrew Stevenson makes game saving catch to help Nationals beat Marlins
- All nickname jerseys for the Washington Nationals
- Ryan Zimmerman breaks franchise record against Marlins