May 20, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
Bryce Harper and Matt Williams were both ejected in the bottom of the third inning against the New York Yankees on Wednesday night in a bizarre sequence sparked by a called first strike.
Home plate umpire Marvin Hudson called a strike on the first offering from pitcher Adam Warren to Harper and the Nationals right fielder appeared to disagree. That generated an argument about Harper getting back into the batter’s box.
Harper demonstrated with his left cleat that he was digging in to take the next pitch. Hudson ejected him shortly after he made the gesture.
That brought Williams out of the dugout, as the manager pushed Harper out of the way to talk to Hudson. Third base umpire Jim Joyce rushed home to intervene and Williams was quickly thrown out. Before leaving the game, Williams kicked dirt on to home plate to show his displeasure.
Bench coach Randy Knorr took over to manage the rest of the game, while Michael Taylor replaced Harper.
Harper was also ejected on May 13, exactly one week prior. After that ejection he had this to say, among other things:
“I don’t like getting talked down to by an umpire. I respect the umpires as much as I can, but to tell me I’m going to act like that, I gave him a piece of my mind.”
Harper and Hudson have a history together, as they argued about a check swing in a Nats-Braves game back in August of 2013.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates