May 18, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
Bryce Harper on Monday was named NL Player of the Week. And no, you aren’t reading the same story from last Monday. This is a new one.
After a blistering performance over the last seven days in Arizona and San Diego, Harper earned the honor for the second straight week. He becomes only the 10th player in NL history to win this award in consecutive weeks since it was first handed out in 1974.
On the heels of a record-setting homestand in which he homered six times in three games, Harper remained red-hot on the Nationals’ West Coast trip. He finished the week hitting .522 with three homers, nine RBI, 10 runs, nine walks, a .656 on-base percentage and 1.743 OPS.
For the season, Harper now leads the NL (or is tied for the league lead) with 14 homers, 37 RBI, 36 runs, 36 walks, a .476 on-base percentage, .729 slugging percentage, 1.206 OPS, 97 total bases, five intentional walks and 2.9 WAR. He leads the majors in all of those categories except for homers (trailing Seattle’s Nelson Cruz by one).
Other players to win consecutive NL Player of the Week honors are: Domonic Brown (2013), Andrew McCutchen (2012), Matt Kemp (2012), Troy Tulowitzki (2010), Jose Reyes (2006), Jason Bay (2006), Jeff Bagwell (1994), Tony Gwynn (1988) and Jason Thompson (1982).
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Stephen Strasburg returns to Nats lineup after DL stint
- 8 bold MLB predictions sure to be proven wrong
- Washington Nationals second half preview
- Nationals players were critical of Dave Martinez's decision-making in the first half
- Max Scherzer thoroughly enjoyed the All-Star experience in D.C.
- All-Star effort once again proves Washington, D.C. is, in fact, a sports city
- The best 2018 MLB All-Star Game red carpet looks
- A quick recap of Tuesday's MLB All-Star Game, including how your Nats did
- 2018 MLB All-Star Game Live Blog
- All-Star Game Weather: Storms causing traffic havoc, could force delay, postponement