May 15, 2015, 6:52 PM EST
The Nationals have placed Doug Fister on the 15-day disabled list with right forearm tightness and recalled A.J. Cole from Class AAA Syracuse, a surprising development on the heels of Fister’s ragged start Thursday night in San Diego.
Fister was roughed up for seven runs and eight hits in only two innings, serving up a pair of home runs during the Nationals’ 8-3 loss to the Padres. That outing raised his season ERA to 4.31, nearly a full run higher than his career mark and two runs higher than he posted last year.
Fister’s velocity also has dipped, with his average fastball registering 86.1 mph, down from 87.8 mph last season.
This is the fifth time Fister has gone on the DL in his career, but only the second time due to an arm injury. He missed 19 days with the Mariners in 2010 with right shoulder fatigue, with his other DL stints involving injuries to his ribs or side.
Cole returns to the Nationals less than three weeks after his disastrous major-league debut in Atlanta, in which the right-hander gave up nine runs in only two innings. The 23-year-old (rated the organization’s No. 2 prospect) returned to Syracuse after that and made two starts, allowing four runs and 10 hits in 12 total innings.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates
- 2018 MLB Power Rankings
- Nationals release 2018 Spring Training TV schedule
- Will Mike Rizzo continue to shape the Nationals? The Junkies believe he's too valuable to lose
- Nationals re-sign Howie Kendrick for two-years