May 11, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
After making history with a barrage of home runs against the Marlins and Braves, Bryce Harper has been named the NL’s Player of the Week.
Harper hit .455 with six home runs, 13 RBI and just one strikeout as the Nationals went 5-1 in six games. He had five homers in a three-game stretch from Thursday through Saturday, including a walk-off home run to beat the Atlanta Braves.
Harper now leads the National League with 11 home runs and tops all MLB hitters with 27 walks. He had three home runs in Thursday’s game alone and became the 10th-youngest player in MLB history to accomplish that feat.
Harper’s walk-off home run on Saturday gave him three for his career. Only five players have done that before turning 23, including Ryan Zimmerman and Frank Robinson.
A Nationals player has won NL Player of the Week 13 times in their history. The last player to win the honor was Jordan Zimmermann for the week of Sept. 22-28 of 2014.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trea Turner has a career game as Nats clobber Reds
- Harper's 10th-inning single lifts Nationals past Reds 6-5
- Max Scherzer's bid for third no-hitter ends in heartbreak
- The Nats got hot Tuesday in Miami with 12-3 win over Marlins
- Tanner Roark unable to preserve six-run lead before Marlins walk off Nationals in ninth
- Jacob DeGrom denies Nationals sweep of Mets on Father's Day
- Nationals hit three homers to win third straight game against Mets
- Nationals look to win series against Mets behind Stephen Strasburg
- Scherzer strikes out 10, leads Nationals over Mets 7-2
- Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Murphy dominated in Nationals' 8-3 win over the Mets