May 11, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
After making history with a barrage of home runs against the Marlins and Braves, Bryce Harper has been named the NL’s Player of the Week.
Harper hit .455 with six home runs, 13 RBI and just one strikeout as the Nationals went 5-1 in six games. He had five homers in a three-game stretch from Thursday through Saturday, including a walk-off home run to beat the Atlanta Braves.
Harper now leads the National League with 11 home runs and tops all MLB hitters with 27 walks. He had three home runs in Thursday’s game alone and became the 10th-youngest player in MLB history to accomplish that feat.
Harper’s walk-off home run on Saturday gave him three for his career. Only five players have done that before turning 23, including Ryan Zimmerman and Frank Robinson.
A Nationals player has won NL Player of the Week 13 times in their history. The last player to win the honor was Jordan Zimmermann for the week of Sept. 22-28 of 2014.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?
- Whoa. Dusty Baker not returning as Nationals' manager. What comes next?
- Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy undergoes successful knee surgery