May 6, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg played catch on the field at Nationals Park following Wednesday’s win over the Marlins, but the right-hander offered no update on how he felt one day after experiencing shoulder discomfort during his shortest start of the season.
Strasburg, who was due to meet with a chiropractor during the day Wednesday, walked through the Nationals clubhouse shortly after the team’s 7-5 matinee victory alongside manager Matt Williams, pitching coach Steve McCatty, head athletic trainer Lee Kuntz and physical therapist Angela Gordon. He then went down to the field with McCatty, Kuntz and a bullpen catcher for a brief throwing session.
A team spokesperson wouldn’t make Strasburg available to reporters after he returned to the clubhouse, saying there was no new information to share and that the pitcher’s condition was still being assessed.
Speaking after his 3-inning start Tuesday night, in which he visibly grimaced after several pitches, Strasburg described his discomfort coming from underneath his shoulder blade, something that could be fixed with an adjustment from a chiropractor. He said he’s had chiropractic work done before.
“I’ve done it before,” he said. “I think it’s probably just something that, for one reason or another, probably creeps up in there sometimes. I’ve just got to get it fixed and hopefully get back out there for the next one.”
Strasburg is scheduled for now to make his next start Monday at Arizona, though the Nationals could pitch Max Scherzer on normal rest that night if needed.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB 2018 Power Rankings: Preseason Edition
- The sound of Bryce Harper's first spring training HR is beautiful
- Per usual, Max Scherzer strikes out Tim Tebow on three pitches
- Camels and players bond at Nats Spring Training
- Nationals Spring Training Schedule 2018
- With Ross placed on 60-day DL, Nationals agree to 1-year deal with veteran reliever
- It's Day 1 of spring training and Bryce Harper is already done taking questions regarding his future
- May the odds be ever in your favor: Vegas sets over/unders for 2018 MLB season
- Former Nationals pitcher Esteban Loaiza arrested with more than 40 pounds of suspected cocaine
- 2018 Spring Training report dates