May 3, 2015, 11:18 AM EST
After leaving Thursday’s game and sitting out on consecutive nights, Denard Span has returned to the Nationals’ lineup as they get ready to take on the Mets in New York.
Span was removed from the game on Friday due to soreness in his abdomen. He told MLB.com afterwards the discomfort was near the area where he had core muscle surgery on March 9. Span also had sports hernia surgery back in December.
Span originally returned from the core muscle procedure on April 19 in a Nats win over the Phillies. Through 10 games this year, he is hitting .302 with two home runs, seven RBI, 10 runs, three walks and four doubles.
Span, 31, is in his third season with the Nationals. He placed 19th in NL MVP voting in 2014 with a .302 average, 94 runs and 31 steals.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper enjoyed the story of Alex Luey and Ovechkin's hat trick for the young cancer survivor
- Max Scherzer Giving Away Memorabilia For Good Cause
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?