May 1, 2015, 4:07 PM EST
This is only Game 2 of a 4-game series, but let’s be honest: The main event is tonight, with Max Scherzer and Matt Harvey going head-to-head in a premier pitching matchup.
Scherzer makes his return to the mound eight days after he sprained a ligament in his right thumb while hitting. He has been able to throw the last several days without any pain, but he will take some precautions when hitting and wear a thumb guard, he said. Harvey, meanwhile, has all of New York going gaga in his first month back from Tommy John surgery, having gone 4-0 with a 3.04 ERA, 31 strikeouts and three walks to date.
The Nationals won’t have Denard Span in the lineup tonight; he’s dealing with some soreness in the area where he had his abdominal muscle surgery, enough that it forced him out of last night’s game early. So Michael Taylor gets the start in center field and will lead off. Dan Uggla also gets back in the lineup at second base, hoping to build off his tremendous series in Atlanta.
As you know, I’m unfortunately not in New York for this series, but please keep up the conversation here as always, and check back in the morning for some analysis of what hopefully will be a fantastic ballgame at Citi Field…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field, New York
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, XM 869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 53 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF
CF Michael Taylor
3B Yunel Escobar
LF Jayson Werth
RF Bryce Harper
1B Ryan Zimmerman
C Wilson Ramos
SS Ian Desmond
2B Dan Uggla
RHP Max Scherzer
RF Curtis Granderson
CF Juan Lagares
1B Lucas Duda
LF Michael Cuddyer
3B Daniel Murphy
SS Wilmer Flores
2B Dilson Herrera
C Kevin Plawecki
RHP Matt Harvey
HP Alfonso Marquez
1B Dan Bellino
2B Bruce Dreckman
3B Tom Hallion
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Why Bryce Harper would be a bargain at $500 million
- Nats' Max Scherzer wins second straight NL Cy Young Award
- Max Scherzer and Ryan Zimmerman receive honors from fellow ballplayers
- Two-time Cy Young winner Roy Halladay dies in Gulf of Mexico plane crash
- Nationals' Scherzer, Strasburg named two of the three NL Cy Young finalists
- Matt Wieters will return to Nationals in 2018 with player-option
- Houston Astros shut out lights in Hollywood, bring home first World Series title
- Is Bryce Harper flirting with Chicago?
- Whoa. Dusty Baker not returning as Nationals' manager. What comes next?
- Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy undergoes successful knee surgery