May 1, 2015, 4:07 PM EDT
This is only Game 2 of a 4-game series, but let’s be honest: The main event is tonight, with Max Scherzer and Matt Harvey going head-to-head in a premier pitching matchup.
Scherzer makes his return to the mound eight days after he sprained a ligament in his right thumb while hitting. He has been able to throw the last several days without any pain, but he will take some precautions when hitting and wear a thumb guard, he said. Harvey, meanwhile, has all of New York going gaga in his first month back from Tommy John surgery, having gone 4-0 with a 3.04 ERA, 31 strikeouts and three walks to date.
The Nationals won’t have Denard Span in the lineup tonight; he’s dealing with some soreness in the area where he had his abdominal muscle surgery, enough that it forced him out of last night’s game early. So Michael Taylor gets the start in center field and will lead off. Dan Uggla also gets back in the lineup at second base, hoping to build off his tremendous series in Atlanta.
As you know, I’m unfortunately not in New York for this series, but please keep up the conversation here as always, and check back in the morning for some analysis of what hopefully will be a fantastic ballgame at Citi Field…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at NEW YORK METS
Where: Citi Field, New York
Gametime: 7:10 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, XM 869
Weather: Partly cloudy, 53 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF
CF Michael Taylor
3B Yunel Escobar
LF Jayson Werth
RF Bryce Harper
1B Ryan Zimmerman
C Wilson Ramos
SS Ian Desmond
2B Dan Uggla
RHP Max Scherzer
RF Curtis Granderson
CF Juan Lagares
1B Lucas Duda
LF Michael Cuddyer
3B Daniel Murphy
SS Wilmer Flores
2B Dilson Herrera
C Kevin Plawecki
RHP Matt Harvey
HP Alfonso Marquez
1B Dan Bellino
2B Bruce Dreckman
3B Tom Hallion
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals win 6-2 after Stephen Strasburg leaves in second inning
- Bryce Harper powers Nationals past Diamondbacks
- Nationals lose to Diamondbacks in dramatic fashion
- Nationals six-game winning streak comes to an end in Los Angeles
- Zimmerman sets franchise HR record, Nationals beat Reds 6-1
- Nationals new reliever Sean Doolittle grew up a Redskins fan
- Daniel Murphy homers twice in 14-4 rout of Reds
- Nationals aquire Doolittle from Athletics
- Bryce Harper homers twice, Nationals beat Reds 5-0
- Dallas fan Bryce Harper casually talks Cowboys with Joe Buck during All Star Game