Apr 28, 2015, 3:10 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Needing to clear a spot on their roster for A.J. Cole to make his big-league debut Tuesday night, the Nationals optioned reliever Rafael Martin to Class AAA Syracuse.
Martin, 30, became the odd man out when the Nationals needed to drop someone to account for Cole’s promotion, necessitated by Max Scherzer’s scratch from his scheduled start against the Braves due to a sprained right thumb.
Scherzer isn’t expected to need more than a couple extra days to recover, so a DL move wasn’t necessary, but somebody else off the pitching staff needed to be removed from the roster so Cole could be called up.
Martin wound up the choice, based on the fact he just pitched Monday night and the fact he has struggled since his impressive major-league debut two weeks ago in Boston. The right-hander struck out five consecutive batters in that outing at Fenway Park, but was scored upon in each of his three appearances since.
Martin heads back to Syracuse having allowed seven runs (five earned) in five total innings, striking out 11 while walking two and serving up three homers. He came on in relief Monday night and hit Braves shortstop Andrelton Simmons in the rear end on his first pitch, receiving the ire of the Atlanta dugout and a warning from plate umpire Bill Welke. (Simmons had injured Nationals third baseman Yunel Escobar with a late, hard slide two innings earlier.)
The Nationals will be a man down in their bullpen for Tuesday’s game, but with Cole expected only to make a spot start, he could be optioned back to the minors after the game and the club could promote another reliever before Wednesday’s series finale. (Martin cannot be recalled for 10 days, unless he’s replacing an injured player.)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Whoa. Dusty Baker not returning as Nationals' manager. What comes next?
- Nationals second baseman Daniel Murphy undergoes successful knee surgery
- Bryce Harper thanks Nationals fans for support during 2017 season
- 20 things D.C. sports fans should be really happy about, playoff success or not
- Nationals Game 5 meltdown yet another reminder why D.C. can't have nice things
- With contractual decisions looming, Nats missed chance at stress-free World Series run
- Nationals suffer postseason heartbreak yet again in lengthy, controversial Game 5 loss
- NLDS 2017: Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5 Live Blog
- Nationals place faith in Gio Gonzalez, name him Game 5 starter vs. Cubs
- D.C. Metro extends hours for Nationals vs. Cubs Game 5