Apr 27, 2015, 6:18 PM EDT
ATLANTA — Anthony Rendon was scratched from the lineup at Class AA Harrisburg on Monday after feeling fatigued during afternoon workouts, the Nationals said, a hiccup in the infielder’s rehab from a sprained left knee.
Rendon was scheduled to play 7-to-9 innings at second base and bat third for the Senators but was pulled out of the lineup about an hour before first pitch. The Nationals elected to give him the day off as a precaution.
The scratching came after Rendon had taken a scheduled day off Sunday following his first two games on rehab assignment. He had played five innings at third base on Friday and seven innings at second base on Saturday, reporting no issues with his knee.
The 24-year-old reigning Silver Slugger Award winner has been out since spraining his MCL on a diving play at third base during an early March spring training game.
The Nationals had laid out a rehab schedule that would’ve seen Rendon play nine innings Tuesday, then take Wednesday off and potentially join the big-league club in New York on Thursday to make his season debut. That debut now likely will be delayed at least another day, possibly more.
Once he does return, Rendon won’t exclusively play third base, even though that was the Nationals’ intention heading into spring training. With Yunel Escobar looking more comfortable at third base than second base over the last three weeks, Rendon will get time at second in big-league games.
“He’s going to play some second when he returns, some third when he returns,” manager Matt Williams said. “We want to make sure he’s getting work at both places. He’s played third a lot up until now. We want to get him some reps [at second base], too, so he can get a feel for it. I’m just concerned about him being healthy.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trea Turner has a career game as Nats clobber Reds
- Harper's 10th-inning single lifts Nationals past Reds 6-5
- Max Scherzer's bid for third no-hitter ends in heartbreak
- The Nats got hot Tuesday in Miami with 12-3 win over Marlins
- Tanner Roark unable to preserve six-run lead before Marlins walk off Nationals in ninth
- Jacob DeGrom denies Nationals sweep of Mets on Father's Day
- Nationals hit three homers to win third straight game against Mets
- Nationals look to win series against Mets behind Stephen Strasburg
- Scherzer strikes out 10, leads Nationals over Mets 7-2
- Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Murphy dominated in Nationals' 8-3 win over the Mets