May 23, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
PITTSBURGH — Hello from beautiful PNC Park, which looks spectacular as always. After staying back in D.C. last night to appear on CSN’s Baseball Show, I made the easy drive up here this morning and will be on-site the rest of the weekend.
The Nationals are trying to bounce back from a tough 3-1 loss last night, needing a win to avoid dropping to the .500 mark. They’ll need a strong start for Jordan Zimmermann, of course, but more than that they’ll need to drive in some runs off an opposing right-hander (Charlie Morton) and that has been easier said than done over the last few weeks.
Matt Williams is trying out a couple of different things tonight. Danny Espinosa takes a seat on the bench, with Anthony Rendon sliding over to second base. That opens up third base for Zach Walters to make his first start in the infield this season (and his first career start at third base). Greg Dobbs also gets the call at first base.
Lots of updates to come, so please check back…
WASHINGTON NATIONALS at PITTSBURGH PIRATES
Where: PNC Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m. EDT
TV: MASN2, MLB.tv
Radio: 106.7 FM, 1500 AM, XM 879, MLB.com
Weather: Partly cloudy, 62 degrees, Wind 13 mph out to CF
CF Denard Span
2B Anthony Rendon
RF Jayson Werth
C Wilson Ramos
SS Ian Desmond
1B Greg Dobbs
3B Zach Walters
LF Nate McLouth
RHP Jordan Zimmermann
RF Josh Harrison
2B Neil Walker
CF Andrew McCutchen
1B Ike Davis
C Russell Martin
3B Pedro Alvarez
LF Starling Marte
SS Clint Barmes
RHP Charlie Morton
HP Todd Tichenor
1B Gabe Morales
2B Tim Timmons
3B Tim Welke (cc)
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Max Scherzer's bid for third no-hitter ends in heartbreak
- The Nats got hot Tuesday in Miami with 12-3 win over Marlins
- Tanner Roark unable to preserve six-run lead before Marlins walk off Nationals in ninth
- Jacob DeGrom denies Nationals sweep of Mets on Father's Day
- Nationals hit three homers to win third straight game against Mets
- Nationals look to win series against Mets behind Stephen Strasburg
- Scherzer strikes out 10, leads Nationals over Mets 7-2
- Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Murphy dominated in Nationals' 8-3 win over the Mets
- Bryce Harper hits hardest home run of his career
- 2017 MLB All-Star Game date, time, how to watch, rosters